Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Back In Michigan

Our two week adventure exploring two different countries is over and it is very weird being back home. I was very excited to go home yet incredibly sad to end the study abroad and say goodbye to all of the people I had met and shared so many experiences with. I realized I was headed home when I was standing in line waiting to get on the plane in Tokyo and I accidentally bumped the guy in front of me with my bag and he turned around and said, "watch where you move your bag." The Japanese and Taiwanese politeness was gone. After our 11.5 hour plane ride to Chicago we stepped back on American soil and it was weird being able to understand everything that was going on around me. I got through the immigration line super fast, the perks of being a citizen of a country, got my luggage and got through customs quickly. Our cell phones finally worked after 1 week of no reception in Japan and I was able to call my parents and tell them that I would be in Detroit in a while. We ate our last meal together as a group in the Chicago airport, got on the plane and took the 45 minute plane ride to Detroit. A the luggage claims we all said our goodbyes and headed to our rides home after 1 last group picture.

I cannot believe I was able to experience something so amazing at the age of 20. Every moment of this trip will forever be with me. I am so glad I was able to meet all of the participates on this study abroad. This was the greatest experience of my life and I am so happy I had the opportunity!

-Lauren

No comments: