Thursday, May 21, 2009

May 21st






Today we visited all of Hikone. First we went to the Hikone Chamber where we were able to here all about the industries in the Shiga prefecture. Hikone developed a marketing campaign with this little warrior cartoonish guy (see picture to the left) who is a big deal in Hikone. Every shop sells things that have this guys picture on it. It is very interesting. Afterwards we went to Castle Road and ate lunch at a resturant that, I didn't realize this until afterwards, was a Korean restuarant. I ordered a bowl of food that said was beef and vegetables; I thought it would be safe and also would taste good. I got the food and everything was in a bowl and the waitress told me to stir it up so I started stirring and uncovered numerous vegetables I had never seen before and also an uncooked egg. I figured the egg would cook after I stirred it up so that didn't bother me but I tried the food and there were just wayyyyyy to many different flavors in there, my mouth had no idea what was going on. On a brighter side the beef tasted very good. After lunch we went to the local shopping street called Hana-Shobu Shotengai. There we were able to visit a traditional Japanese hotel, a fish and vegetable store, a cake shop and many others. Next we went to Toshiro Odagaki's, a painter in Hikone, art studio. He and his wife gave us some Japanese sweets and cakes and then he painted ink drawings for us. He drew bamboo, a frog and a flower. He was very fast and talented. So I am pretty sure we saw all of Hikone today!

-Lauren

No comments: