Friday, May 22, 2009

Cultural Differences I Have Realized During the Past Two Weeks




During the past two weeks in Japan and Taiwan I have noticed some cultural aspects that are different from the United States. The first difference I noticed and it's kind of a small difference, is how they referred to last names as family names. On all of the forms I had to fill out in the airport all of them said family name on it and I was talking to a student from Shiga University today and she said so and so's family name is whatever. I don't know if I just never paid attention in the United States to forms but I don't recall last names referred to as family names. Another difference I noticed in Taiwan was the lack of sweet foods. I rarely saw candy bars or cookies in the store and when I did buy a pastry thinking it would be sweet it wasn't. These past two weeks I have been going through a chocolate deficiency and I finally found some in Japan this week so scarfed up:)

I heard that Japan has the most vending machines per capita and when I got here I definitely saw that. I saw things sold in vending machines that I would have never have guessed. Apparently vending machines aren't limited to food and drinks because I saw a vending machine with cigarettes, alcohol and even men's ties (If you don't believe me look at the pictures!).

In Japan, cars ride on the left side of the road. I still can't wrap my head around that one, I mean it's very weird driving on the opposite of side of the road when you have driven on the right side your entire life. When I cross the street I automatically look one way to make sure cars are coming and when I think it is clear it actually isn't. Driving on the left side affects the whole mentality of life. When we were at the train station, people go up and down the escalators on the left side and they walk towards the left side of a building. I find it very interesting.

In Taiwan there was no sense of traffic rules! I seriously almost saw 5 accidents the first day we were there. Scooters weave in and out of traffic so easily, cars pull out of parking spaces without looking behind them, I mean it was absolutely crazy! I was warned about the driving but you actually have to be there to expeirence it. And all of the lights in Taiwan had the seconds count down until the light changed which gave people a better reason to speed up and try to beat the light!

Being a tall person I have found it very difficult to sit at a table here in Japan! Most of the tables I sit at I have to stretch my legs out all the way in order for them to fit underneath the table! Not very comfortable! See picture!

Well I think this blog posting may be getting a little long so I'm going to stop right now:)

-Lauren

No comments: