Wednesday, May 20, 2009

May 20th 2009



This morning we attended a Japanese cultural class where I was able to attempt to write calligraphy, arrange flowers and play the kotu. If I would have had ten more minutes at the calligraphy table I would have become a master :). The lines in calligraphy all have a 45 degree angle on one side. When it is explained and done by a professional it looks very simple but when I tried it, it was more difficult then it looks. I learned how to write my name and the word friend. Flower arranging was fun and very technical; certain flowers had to be taller than others, the first three flowers had to be in a triangle and another type of flowers went around the outside of the main flowers. It turned out very pretty. The people who flower arrange are very patient and very precise. Next I tried playing the kotu. It is a large string instrument that is plucked to make music. I found this difficult because: 1. I have no rythym and 2. you have to play with your right hand an dI am left handed. The fourth class we had an opportunity to partake in was a tea ceramony but the room was packed and I don't really like tea.

During my past week and a half in Taiwan and Japan I have realized two things: 1. I do not like tea. No matter how many times I try it and how many different kinds I try I still do not like it. 2. I don't like sushi. Raw fish is not right. It has a weird texture and it is cold and I'm just not a big fan. I'll try in one more time in Japan if the opportunity arises but I can't make any promises that I'll like it :)

-Lauren

No comments: